20 September 2005

What I Want

All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and unlimited power. -- Ashleigh Brilliant
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat. -- John Lehman,
Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987

Money, power, fame & fortune. All of the power and none of the responsibility. The same things that everyone wants -- well, if you're an angsty teenager, anyway. For those of us in our post-formative years, this seems excessive and short-sighted. Again, perfect if you're an angsty teen.

Right now, I'll settle for delivery of my Sun Ultra 20 workstation. I ordered it back in June (June! It's the middle of September! Where is the...expletives fail me...thing?). I'm actually on rev 8 of my angry letter to Sun regarding order fulfillment and customer communication, I'll probably put a little polish on it as soon as my workstation finally gets here (how many "t"s in "wretched", anyway?) and send it off with a note to "share and enjoy". I mean, seriously, I understand about pre-selling, and I understand that Sun probably isn't used to dealing with one-off, low-margin customers, but come on! I was never notified when the systems became available, I was never notified when my system shipped, and there was a mysterious hold on my order that was never explained to me. Is this any way to do business? All I have to say is, I have a 90-day return policy, and if this system doesn't rank right up there with sliced bread and shared libraries, it's going right back in the box.

No comments: