24 October 2005

Ruby on Rails: Um, yeah, maybe

Well, I was going to plunk down some hard-earned study time to finally get my hands dirty and learn about Spring when I got sidetracked. A lot of the Java news sites were carrying stories about this new technology Ruby on Rails. I remember looking at Ruby a few years ago and thinking it looked like a neat language, but I never really spent any time with it. Now it's got this new Active Record concept and people are claiming impressive productivity gains, so I thought I'd bite and check it out in earnest.

So. I get my box all set up (build & install Ruby 1.8.3, build & install PostgreSQL 8.0.4 [in 2m15s!], download RubyGems so I can download Rails, download Rails). Now to find a quick tutorial that will get me up and running....

Well, given that I'm on a Solaris box now, there's no Quicktime for me, so the on-line "learn Ruby in 15 min" video is out. I got a copy of the Ruby LRM, which is pretty good, but it's not the quick tutorial I was looking for. And as far as I can tell, there isn't one. What I had in mind was something like the Struts sample: copy it to the Tomcat webapp directory, let it deploy, then browse it and its source code. I can't even find an example of a web page with Ruby embedded in it! Maybe I just don't know where to look, but it shouldn't be that hard. Oh, and mod_ruby refuses to build for me (something about "gcc: unknows flag -Xa, unknown language idlfull", something like that). I'm building for Apache 2, so maybe that build wasn't tested. I only tried the latest version, so maybe I should drop back one or two (I was using something like 1.2.4, which just came out, it didn't look like much had changed in the last couple of versions). When I find the time, yeah, maybe....

No comments: